23667: (pub) Durban: Simeus' letter to Congressional Black Caucus (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Open Letter to the Congressional Black Caucus
Dumas M. Siméus
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

October 29, 2004

Dear Friends,

As a Haitian-American, a former president of TLC Beatrice Foods
(a $2 billion multinational corporation), and now the owner of
the largest African American food processing business in the
United States, I am truly grateful for the opportunities the
U.S. has afforded me. I am also grateful to the U.S. for the
support it has offered to Haiti thus far.  However, given the
latest alarming developments, the U.S. needs to demonstrate a
stronger show of support for the interim government in order to
protect this young, developing democracy and prepare for
peaceful and transparent elections in 2005.

Along with many others in Haiti and the Haitian Diaspora, I
supported Jean-Bertrand Aristide during his presidency. To see
his presidency end as it did on February 29, 2004 was
discouraging and troubling. Aristide’s time has passed and the
country must move on. Now is the time for all parties to
reconcile for the good of Haiti.

While Haiti was reeling from the blow dealt by Hurricane Jeanne,
violent demonstrations broke out in recent weeks. Some thugs
have even used copycat tactics termed "Operation Baghdad" in
which the heads of at least seven Haitian policemen have been
severed. The country cannot move forward with this type of
hoodlum pulling the world’s attention backward to thoughts of
the past and violence.

I urge you, the Congressional Black Caucus, to help Haiti and
enact these initiatives:

* Demonstrate your support for the interim government with a
public statement and a Congressional Black Caucus delegation
visit with the Prime Minister to help fund solutions to the
current situation. I would be happy to join you on this
diplomatic mission.

* Pass the Haitian Economic Recovery Opportunity Act (HR 4889)
exactly as passed by the Senate (S2261). This legislation could
be the springboard for the creation of up to 100,000 direct jobs
in Haiti, and hundreds of thousands of indirect jobs.

The Congressional Black Caucus can play a visible, pro-active
leadership role in helping Haiti move forward and become
self-sufficient economically rather than being constantly
dependent on the international community for humanitarian aid.
I, along with many in the Haitian Diaspora, would be grateful
for your support and speed of action.

Sincerely,

Dumas M. Siméus
Chairman & Founder