23677: (pub) Blanchet: Fw: Flash @ InterVision2000 ::: Open Letter to the Congressional Black Caucus ::: Dumas M. Simeus (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <MaxBlanchet@worldnet.att.net>

 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 Open Letter to the Congressional Black Caucus
 Dumas M. Siméus
 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 October 29, 2004

 Dear Friends,

 As a Haitian-American, a former president of TLC Beatrice Foods
(a $2 billion multinational corporation), and now the owner of the
largest African American food processing business in the United
States, I am truly grateful for the opportunities the U.S. has
afforded me. I am also grateful to the U.S. for the support it has
offered to Haiti thus far. However, given the latest alarming
developments, the U.S. needs to demonstrate a stronger show
of support for the interim government in order to protect
this young, developing democracy and prepare for peaceful
and transparent elections in 2005.

 Along with many others in Haiti and the Haitian Diaspora, I
supported Jean-Bertrand Aristide during his presidency. To see
his presidency end as it did on February 29, 2004 was discouraging
and troubling. Aristide's time has passed and the country must move
on. Now is the time for all parties to reconcile for the good of Haiti.

While Haiti was reeling from the blow dealt by Hurricane Jeanne,
violent demonstrations broke out in recent weeks. Some thugs have
even used copycat tactics termed "Operation Baghdad" in which the
heads of at least seven Haitian policemen have been severed. The
country cannot move forward with this type of hoodlum pulling the
world's attention backward to thoughts of the past and violence.

 I urge you, the Congressional Black Caucus, to help Haiti and
enact these initiatives:

 * Demonstrate your support for the interim government with a
public statement and a Congressional Black Caucus delegation visit
with the Prime Minister to help fund solutions to the current situation.
I would be happy to join you on this diplomatic mission.

 * Pass the Haitian Economic Recovery Opportunity Act (HR 4889)
exactly as passed by the Senate (S2261). This legislation could be the
springboard for the creation of up to 100,000 direct jobs in Haiti, and
hundreds of thousands of indirect jobs.

 The Congressional Black Caucus can play a visible, pro-active
leadership role in helping Haiti move forward and become self-sufficient
economically rather than being constantly dependent on the international
community for humanitarian aid. I, along with many in the Haitian
Diaspora, would be grateful for your support and speed of action.

 Sincerely,

 Dumas M. Siméus
Chairman & Founder
Siméus Foods International, Inc.