23702: (reply) Vedrine: RE: 23684: (pub) Chamberlain: Wyclef Jean visits Haiti (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

It’s good that Wychef is trying to do something as a well-known
Haitian-American superstar by trying to talk to different groups and see how
he can try to connect them. But he must know that every little group in
Haiti (be it businessmen, coup leaders, drug dealers, former soldiers,
gangs, politicians, scholars, and members of our corrupted elite) has their
particular interest which is far from helping to solve Haiti’s problems.

For instance, when we look at all these political parties on the ground
(over 20) and other groups that give themselves an identifying number, they
did not have any agenda for Haiti (before and after February 29, 2004) other
than the slogan: ARISTIDE MUST GO! And as we know, the former priest loves
power and he feels like a king on his throne. So, it’s up to Haitians to
come up with a solution that benefits the country.

If we are frank, OCCUPATION (the 3rd. visual one so far) is not the solution
that the Haitian people need and whoever was elected president of the United
States on November 2, 2004 would not be the solution for Haiti’s current
problems either. It is clear from what I’ve read on different forums
recently that there are Haitians who are pro-Bush, and Pro-Kerry (whether
they live in Haiti or in Diaspora). Those who seem to be pro-Bush were
hoping that Bush get re-elected in order to keep Aristide away, and among
those who are pro-Kerry were hoping that the senator get elected and MAYBE
(who knows?) he would play the role of a “second Bill Clinton” to send
Aristide back to Haiti and then from there, come what may. But the $60,000
question is: WOULD THAT BE A NEW BEGINNING FOR HAITI (when she already had
over 20)?

Also, Aristide had enough time to prove himself as leader because the
Lavalas were in full power from 1994 (October) - 2004 (February) - put it
that way because the 1991 coup by the Army has disrupted everything; it also
gave birth to the worst embargo in the history of the country (from
1991-1994). But Haitians (be it leaders or any simple citizen) can’t
continue to blame others for their Haiti’s fate - e.g, when they did not get
full financial support After Preval came to power in 1996 or after Aristide
came to power in 2001). Clearly, certain foreign countries did not want to
help Haiti during these times, and particularly for problems in the 2000
legislative elections (which can be seen by some Haitians as A CHALLENGE TO
DEVELOP LEADERSHIP) and these countries do benefit from Haiti’s problems at
the same time but we can’t continue blaming them when we forget about our
own responsibility toward the mother country.

Talking about “dialogue”, the question is: CAN DIALOGUE AMONG HAITIANS (with
different interests) BE FRUITFUL? But There is ALWAYS A WAY OUT if Haitians
can sit down together at the table and put all their differences away in
order to focus on the need of A COUNTRY. To do that, every Haitian must be
conscious of the HAITIAN REALITY and decide where they want to go (backward
or forward).

THERE WAS DIALOGUE (if we want to go back in history before February 2004)
between Aristide and the so-called “opposition”, (better say “kovčjans” -
whether they believe Aristide was serious or not). But the latter ONLY
wanted him to leave power. It is also important to mention that it’s a whole
issue that arose from the results of LEGISLATIVE ELECTIONS OF MAY 2000.
Under pressure from top government officials, the 84 year old lawyer Leon
Manus, the constitutional chairman of Haiti's electoral college had to go
into exile quickly in order to protect his life. “The embassies in
Port-au-Prince acted on these credible death threats against Manus by
sending a helicopter to take him into exile.” (Christopher G. Fauntroy,
2000).

When the country was facing internal problems in the Winter of 2003 and
pressure from the international community was mounting, Aristide could
simply RESIGN OFFICIALLY (as a gesture) and he would get credit for that.
The truth is that he has become the most popular politician in Haiti (like
it or not) and he trusts his popularity in order to hold on to power until
the end of his term. That, in a way, blocks the road for some many others
who are also thirsty of power. They would do anything to bring him down
because they fear that the Lavalas party would keep power forever (since a
very high percentage of the population supports Aristide). Aristide on the
other hand, would also do anything to keep his power until the completion of
his term. So, clearly, the fight is one for POWER when analyzing the
problems. But again, our question is: power to do what? Power to work toward
the changes that the country needs? Power to feed everyone? Power to throw
the infrastructural bases that the country need? Power for the emergence of
good leadership? Power to manage personal interest better? … We could go on
and on, asking so many questions dealing with THE STRUGGLE FOR POWER IN
HAITI.

E.W.Vedrine