23855: Arthur (pub) NGOs want 'Another Haiti' (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

07 December, 2004 - Published 19:53 GMT BBC Caribbean Service

NGOs want 'Another Haiti'

Political instability is a major problem

A group of Haitians representing more than fifty local NGOs have had meetings
in London and Brussels to encourage European governments to make Haiti a
priority for both public and political concerns within Europe.

The Haitian are using the slogan, 'Another Haiti is possible' to underline
their cause.

Innette Durandis, a member of the Haitian delegation told BBC Caribbean Radio
that despite the current violence and political instability, Haiti can have a
bright future, but they needed international help.

"Despite the way that Haiti is shown in the media as a country of misery, as
a country of natural disaster and political disaster, there are a lot of
dedicated people working at the grassroots level and gradually building the new
Haiti.

"Our message is 'please help us build this new Haiti'," she said.

Durandis said the main problem facing Haiti was the insecurity caused by
violence, and she feels that peacekeeping troops alone cannot solve the problem.

"There are a lot of gangs, a lot of armed groups almost everyday on the
streets. They are terrorising the population," she said. "We believe that
peacekeeping troops cannot really bring peace. We also have a national police and we
believe the national police should get support, equipment and training."

Police support

Although they wanted the support for assisting the police force, Durandis
insisted that they must also embark on a programme of social reform.

"(We want a) more effective police force to disarm the groups and also that
should be linked with a programme of social rehabilitation of the former armed
groups," she told BBC Caribbean Radio.

On Monday, while the Haitians were in London, they met with UK government
parliamentarians Dianne Abbott and Gareth Thomas who pledged the Labour
government’s support for their cause.

The Haitians asked the British government to assist them to run nationwide
anti-violence campaigns before the proposed general elections in 2005, as well
as educational interventions in the areas of citizenship and conflict
resolution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2004/12/041207_haiti-ngo.shtml

Sent by the Haiti Support Group

web site: www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org