23929: Severe: (Reply) to 23900: Morse:Checks and balances (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

While Morse's suggestion of having staggered presidential and legislative
elections makes sense, it would seem outside of the will of the 1987
Constitution. The Prime Minister like the President is part of the executive
branch, with the President choosing the prime minister. The 1987
Constitution envisions Legislative consultation since the PM is supposed to
be a member of whatever party is in majority in the Legislature. Granted
that Haiti is currently in an extra constitutional period where creative
approaches should be tried, I am weary of the make it up as we go along
system that we have in Haiti.

The 1987 Constitution while not perfect(property ownership required for many
elected positions) it's what Haiti has and is a very solid document. Part of
the problem with the current Latortue gov't is that it has no constitutional
much less electoral mandate. See Article 149. Besides that in any semi
functioning gov't the Latortue gov't would have fallen victim to a no
confidence vote eons ago.

For Haiti to even start on the road to recovery the rule of law should be
followed starting with its government. The transition government, I believe,
has exacerbated rather than calm the current instability due its shaky(here
today, maybe not tomorrow) nature. No one knows how long the current lot
will remain in power. Staggered elections would only continue the
uncertainty.