23935: Re: 23927: Barnden (reply) (Lenoir) (John Engle's study costs) (fwd)

From: Christine <aussie_grimel@yahoo.com.au>

There's some discussion going on about the
alternatives for spending money in Haiti.  I lived
there for a while and am aware of many of the problems
Haiti is facing.  But I'm not convinced that money
will solve them.  So much money has been poured into
the country, to what effect?

Coming from a culture where we're raised to depend on
money, we jump to the conclusion that it's the only
solution.  I've never understood how a woman living in
Cite Soleil, with 8 children and no income, could
survive.  And yet she does.  This tells me there's
something deeper happening here.

Supporting education methods, which empower people and
can help shape their future, has the potential to give
much more to a community than money ever can.

christine