23978: Hermantin(news) Creole-translated coloring book tackles difficult issues (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Creole-translated coloring book tackles difficult issues

By Rhonda J. Miller
Staff Writer

December 24, 2004

Color the world with peace, understanding and compassion.

These are the hues of the new Our World coloring book, introduced at
Toussaint L'Ouverture High School for Arts & Social Justice in Delray Beach
this month.

The heroes of the book are the multiethnic sprites Bah and Dah, who travel
around the world energized by pixie dust. They arrive at the classroom of a
globe-like character named Geo, where they meet children from many cultures
and solve problems through trust and understanding.

"The goal of the coloring book is to give children and families a tool to
help them express themselves in ways that go beyond words," said principal
and school co-founder Diane Allerdyce.

"We all have sadness, conflict and anger. It's important to let children
know that they can express feelings in positive ways that will bring more
peace to them and to the world," she said.

The book and a companion parent/teacher guide were unveiled at a dinner and
activity geared to younger siblings and parents of the high school students.
A $3,000 MetLife Bridge Builder grant earmarked to improve family
involvement paid for the Creole translation and the evening's program.

"Research shows that the more the family is involved in school, the better
student achievement," Allerdyce said.

L'Ouverture co-founder Joseph Bernadel, a native of Haiti who lives in Boca
Raton, suggested that the book be translated into Creole. The school was
named for a black general who helped lead Haitians to independence, kind of
a George Washington of Haiti, Bernadel said.

The charter school opened in August 2001 and has a culturally diverse staff
of 15 and student body of 180, with 64 percent Haitian students.

"We emphasize social justice and conflict resolution as part of the culture
of our school," Bernadel said, so the Our World concept was a natural match.

"We found that this book could be a very good thing for students who come
from Haiti, especially if they have distress or emotional difficulties they
may not have dealt with," Bernadel said.

Civil unrest and flooding often cause disruption in Haitian life and
Bernadel hopes that the book will eventually be used there, as well.

Allerdyce and school guidance counselor Deri Ronis worked with Cooper City
videographer and author Robert Buccellato on his book. The three initiated
their collaboration during ceremonies for the school's Peaceful Schools
International Award in August 2003.

The 9-11 terrorist attacks spurred Buccellato's creation of the Our World
book and video. His uncle and several cousins worked on the 102nd floor of
the World Trade Center and Buccellato waited in agony for news after the
airplanes struck.

His relatives were unhurt, but his mission to do his part to make the world
more peaceful was branded on his heart.

The Our World project is funded mostly through donations to the nonprofit
United Children's Foundation launched by Buccellato.

"Children often internalize the troubles of divorce, abuse or grief," said
Buccellato, a victim of incest who discovered that healing begins once the
painful issue is confronted.

"We're hoping that through the medium of play, with character dolls and the
book, children will begin to get in touch with feelings they might have
stuffed," Buccellato said. "We can't have world peace until we have personal
peace."

The training manual is to guide parents or teachers to lead a discussion and
be alert for signs of a problem that might require professional help.

Several mental health professionals reviewed the book and parent/teacher
guide. Resource information on local counselors and agencies will be
available with the book. The foundation is developing assessment tests to
see if the book helps children.

"We think it's a unique tool to help children understand that everybody has
problems, but there is always a community of people who care," Allerdyce
said.

For information on the United Children's Foundation or the One World
project, call 954-662-5663 or e-mail ucf4kids@aol.com or Web site
www.unitedchildrensfoundation.org.

Rhonda J. Miller can be reached at rjmiller@sun-sentinel.com or
561-243-6605.