24005: Corbett (list procedures)

Folks, as you know I do not post items to the list that come with
attachments.  However, in the past, were the post only one screen long,
then I could copy that screen and paste it to a note, then delete the
attachment.

I can no longer do that.

I got a new computer about a week ago, and the people who set it up
downloaded a telnet server for me (unix system) which I like to use,
and it does not have a copy/paste function.  Thus many of you who have
posted short notes in the past, especially from aol, yahoo or hotmail,
may well not be able to do so any longer.

If so, you will get the message from me which is below:

============================

I am sorry, but I can't post your note in its present form.

It comes with an attachment, and I never post attachments.

However, it is MOST LIKELY that you are not the one who put the attachment
there at all, but your internet e-mail provider.  The worst offenders are
aol, yahoo and hotmail.  But other servers do it as well.

They attach your e-mail address to your note as an attachment.

I do not use a browser based e-mail program to run the mailing list.
Rahter I use an old-fashioned unix system (telnet) and it is much faster
and much safer (it will not post any attachments, images, graphics and
such, just text.)  This keeps down the possibility of spreading viruses
with the e-mail.

You may try three things:

1.  Be sure you are sending the message as PLAIN TEXT and not enriched
text.

2.  Call the internet e-mail provider and ask that that attachment feature
be disabled for your account.

3.  Send your note to the list from a different e-mail program.

Sorry, but I just can't post it in it's present form.

Bob Corbett