PLEASE POST ANONYMOUSLY: (discuss): Michael Kamber's NYTimes Haiti article (fwd)

Bob, please post this anonymously. Thanks.

>>>In what is seen as a typical misstep, Mr. Latortue's security forces
>>>arrested the Rev. Gérard Jean-Juste, a prominent human rights leader and
>>>Aristide supporter. He was held without charges for six weeks and then
>>>released. His popularity increased, and though he has not confirmed that
>>>he will run, he is now considered a front-runner in this year's
>>>presidential elections.<<<

Really? Aside from his Haitian refugee work in Miami over a decade ago, what
exactly are Pere Jean-Juste's human rights credentials? What data or
research does Mr. Kamber have to support the contention that Mr.
Jean-Juste's popularity increased during his detention? Why does Mr. Kamber
- as have many other journalists thus far - chose to ignore the troubling
links between Dany Toussaint and Jean-Juste, which would seem to fly in the
face of all the "I'm a humble priest" rhetoric? Has Kamber ever taken the
pulse of the esteem in which Jean-Juste is or is not held among the Haitian
peasantry, say in the Plateau Central or the Artibonite where, after all,
the majority of the voters in any election would be concentrated? It would
help to provide some much needed perspective to pompous nonsense like this
article. What a shame the Times would choose as its representative in Haiti
someone will to make such lazy, blanket statements without a shred of
evidence backing them up.