24031: Hermantin(Pub)Way clear for Haitian founder statue (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Miami-Herald

Posted on Sun, Jan. 02, 2005

LITTLE HAITI

Way clear for Haitian founder statue

A bronze statue of a Haitian founding father inched closer to reality with a
groundbreaking ceremony in Little Haiti -- a bright spot during troubling
times for Haiti.

BY TRENTON DANIEL

tdaniel@herald.com

The year of Haiti's bicentennial was supposed to commemorate an epic revolt,
but it was marred instead by the rebel-fueled ouster of President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide, two devastating floods that killed at least 5,000,
and steady violence and lawlessness that undermines the nation's stability.

But for at least an hour on Saturday, the 201st anniversary of Haiti's
independence, South Florida's Haitian community got the opportunity to
celebrate a modest yet symbolic feat on a bright, breezy New Year's Day: a
groundbreaking to kick off the creation of a statue honoring one of Haiti's
founding fathers, Toussaint Louverture, who launched a 13-year rebellion
that freed Haiti in 1804 from its colonial ruler, France.

''We need a bright tomorrow, because today, if you [look] around the world,
it's very sad what we have to see. But we have to go forward,'' Jean Olbin,
one of the project's organizers, told his audience, which included Miami
Mayor Manny Diaz and activists Marleine Bastien and Jean-Robert Lafortune.

UPON COMPLETION

The bronze statue, scheduled to be unveiled on Haiti's Flag Day, May 18,
will stand 13 ½ feet tall, and the independence hero will hold the nation's
1801 constitution in his hand.

Local sculptor James Mastin won a bid to design the statue for $35,000. The
money was part of a $250,000 budget that the city of Miami earmarked for the
year-long festivities.

Organizers expected the statue to be built last year, but a lack of funds
and snags in planning put the project on hold.

And so, a few dozen Haitian leaders gathered on Independence Day in the
Freedom Garden, a wedge of brownish grass also known as Place Kamokin, in
the heart of Little Haiti.

White hard hats were donned, gold-tipped shovels got gripped and soil was
tossed.

ATTENDING THE EVENT

''Happiness for Haiti,'' said bystander Gino Holybrice, 33, with his 2
½-year-old daughter Nina in his arms.

Holybrice, a professional trainer from Brooklyn in town visiting family, was
walking home from a friend's home when he stumbled upon the groundbreaking.

''Something told me to stop, and I needed her to know who Toussaint is,''
Holybrice said about his daughter. ``This is the movement for all people,
for Miami period. We are starting to recognize the work of Haitian people.''

Lending gravitas to the event was a celebrity -- at least one known among
Haitian moviegoers. Rudolph ''Rudy'' Moise is an osteopathic doctor who
practices family medicine in North Miami.

But he is also known as ''Richard Lazard'' from ''Wind of Desire,'' a
low-budget soap opera-like movie set in Miami mansions and on Haiti beaches
that is about an adulterous attorney who falls for a troubled New York
physician.

The wide-eyed fans moved in.

''Hi, Richard, I've seen your movie,'' cooed Regina Dolcine, 13, timidly
trying to hide behind a slim tree.

Moise, who was part of the bicentennial coordinating committee, said
Saturday's affair was an opportunity to mark a fresh beginning for his
turbulent country.

''We can only hope that 2005 will be a much better year,'' he said.