24088: (Reply) Chamberlain: 24077: Walton: RE: 24069: Karshan (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> Vodou is overseen by the Ministry of Cults (located on Delmas 33) which
is a subdivision of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

>  While Vodou might be considered a cult religion in Boston, Austin or
Brooklyn, I believe it is a mainstream religion in Haiti. In the
western-european tradition, the term, "cult" has a negative connotation,
(see  below*). Why then, is Vodou defined as a "cult" in a country where it
is so widely practiced and respected?  Are the minority Protestant
congregations overseen by the Ministry of Cults?  Were I a Haitian
vodouisant, the "cult" appellation would offend me.

The word "culte" in French simply means "religion", so the translation of
the ministry's title as "cults" is wrong.  It should be:  "ministry of
religious affairs" (or Ministry of Foreign and Religious Affairs, though
the ministry's religious sub-division isn't often mentioned).  The
sub-division also concerns itself with the various Protestant religions in
Haiti.

The word in French for the English "cult" (derogatory) is "secte" (which is
also used derogatively in  English -- "sect").

        Greg Chamberlain