24106: Lyall (discuss) elections and Presidents or Kings (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

This whole election thing is looking fairly ridiculous. Palestine
just had elections under hostile occupation after most of their
police have  been killed by the occupation. They had what, one months
notice to hold the first election in 8 years?

We went thru a big voter registration and ID card rigamarole in year
2000. The Electoral council staff are still there, many of the same
people who conducted the election in 2000  still work there today.
Why are millions of more dollars and years of preparation needed to
hold another election?

I must agree with previous comments that a big election for every
office in the country next november is a stoopid idea. We could have
had elections for communes last November, then for parliament this
May. Instead we've taken months to appoint new mayors and are wasting
a year just talking about how to get the electoral council to do it's
(provisional) job.

Getting a parliament going and a government with electoral legitimacy
is  the most important thing. The Prezidan of the repiblik can easily
be left off being filled (replaced), and would perhaps get people
more used to the idea of how the constitution is supposed to work. I
agree with R.Morse here.

Actually Hayti needs a King rather than a president. A King in the
modern sense, like in Thailand or Oman. More influence than the
holdover Euro monarchs, but not a head of government.  Nepal is a bad
example of holdover monarchs trying to do the 19th century thing. Why
are Nepalese police here in Haiti? They have a real war back there at
home.

The Thai king can bring down a government by questioning the prime
minister or general in charge. He does this very,very rarely tho. An
expression of unhappiness brings the whole political process to
attention. This is the kind of national leader that we need in Hayti.
A loving protector, a symbol for the nation and overseer of the
thieves who call themselves politicians.

Someone needs to hunt down the descendants of Toussaint and invite
them home to save the motherland. Did Placide and Issac have children
in France? Does Dessallines have family in Marchand today? Petion
died a bachelor did he? Bummer. Host and patron to Bolivar the
liberator would be a good foundation for a royal realm. Christophe?
His wife was never allowed to return to live in Hayti as I recall.
Did any children escape with her?

Find us a Monarch!
--
J. David Lyall