24125: Bell (reply) to Corbett on Toussaint and other Revolution issues

>From Bob Corbett:

Folks, Madison sent the note below to me as a personal communication, but I
thought it was so extraordinary and so worthy of both sharing and discussing,
that I wrote to ask if I might:

1.  Post it to the list (as I'm now doing)
2.  Add this as an appendage to my review -- which I will do soon.

Madison graciously agreed.

There are just some fascinating things to think about in his thought and
specualtions below.

Bob Corbett

====================================

>From madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu>
To corbetre@webster.edu
Subject Stone review

Bob? I had meant months ago to respond to your wonderful review and just
found it again at the bottom of me inbox.

It is a really great close reading of the whole trilogy­ -- mezi anpil.

I will comment on a point or two just because they are interesting.   Also,
I just completed a draft of a short biography of Toussaint so have been
over all this ground and this time without the luxury of making stuff up!

  The royalist plot theory: recent scholars seem to be coming back around
to it.  Jacques de Cauna?s book, TOUSSAINT LOUVERTURE ET L?INDEPENDENCE
D?HAITI reveals some new stuff, new at least to me, about Toussaint?s
connections with the grand blanc world.  He and Bayon de Libertat were
really close friends.  Toussaint was free since 1776 and his relationship
with Bayon was really a collegial one.  They were both Freemasons and
belonged to the same lodge.  Touzard was related to Bayon by marriage (I
got some of this now from Gerard Barthelemy and a frequent visitor at Breda
along with his commander, Cambefort.  Toussaint had a lot of friendly
contact with these people.  Also one should consider that relations between
free blacks (a rather small group) and free people of color were cool,
while relations between free blacks and petit blancs were exceedingly
hostile­meaning that in quarrel between petit blancs and grand blancs
Toussaint would be inclined to side with the latter where he already had a
friendly and supportive circle of acquaintance.

A Royalist plot is implied in Blanchelande?s sentence to the
guillotine.  Both Kerverseau and Sonthonax state Toussaint?s role in the
plot as a fact, though both were trying to damage his reputation when they
made these statements.

Also, the more I study the negotiations and the letters sent by the rebel
slaves in the fall of 1791 the more it looks like a deal made before the
first uprising is breaking down.  I think it is plausible that the couple
of hundred manumissions and concessions in the conditions of slavery which
the rebels begin by asking for were agreed upon before the first uprising.

True it makes no sense that the grand blanc conspirators would instigate a
massacre of their own class­but what if they never meant for that to
happen?  They might have PLANNED to make a deal with a few ateliers to burn
some cane fields and wave their machetes, scare the petit blancs into
submission and then collect their reward and go home.  But the uprising
went way beyond that the very first night and that?s why the a priori deal
broke down­the grand blancs really couldn?t float the original deal (if
they wanted to) once so many whites had been slaughtered and the whole
Northern Plain burned down.

In the course of the fall the rebellion evolves toward a revolution ? this
is quite plainly seen in the letters from the rebels.  It?s plain that the
slaves were not fighting for general liberty at the start but by the end of
1791 they were.

Now, I think Toussaint may well have foreseen all the stages of this
process.  He may have foreseen that the insurrection would immediately
burst out of the limits set for it, that the deal with the grand blancs
would break down, and that a revolution in favor of general liberty would
develop.  His actions during this period support that idea­he stays home
till the first spasm of uncontrollable violence has played itself and joins
the rebels at the point when they are ready to be shaped into a
revolutionary army with the stamina to go the distance.

On this read, Toussaint?s involvement in the plot would be his first great
POLITICAL maneuver.  He always like to have his opponents do as much of his
work for him as possible!  In this situation he realized early that the
plot could be shaped into something very different from what the original
schemers intended and that he would be the man to do it.

Yup there?s some speculation here.  It could have happened this way but
that doesn?t mean for certain that it did.

Fever vs battle casualties in the defeat of the French.

Recent scholarship has revealed that Leclerc and his subordinates
consistently underreported their battlefield casualties, because they were
embarrassed (and horrified) by how many men were getting killed.  Toussaint
and his officers had armies that were formidable in the field.  Still they
were up against Napoleon?s best veterans.  The two biggest battles of the
war­Ravine a Couleuvre and La Crete a Pierrot, were incredibly destructive
for both sides.

Toussaint really didn?t like pointless violence and useless bloodshed.  If
he could win without a fight, he would.  Also the first weeks of war gave
him a number of strategic setbacks: the loss of the Spanish part of the
island and the Grand Anse, the failure to destroy Port au Prince,
Maurepas?s isolation and ultimate surrender in the Northwest. Toussaint?s
last plan for a decisive military victory was to capture Leclerc at La
Crete a Pierrot through a maneuver of double encirclement.  He describes
this strategy in some detail in the Fort de Joux memoir and it nearly
worked­the timing was off by a matter of hours.

With that opportunity lost he was down to a war of attrition.  He could
have won that, but disease is a factor in a war of attrition.  His model
would have been the fate of the English invasion.  Toussaint never had much
luck fighting conventional battles with the redcoats at Saint Marc and in
the open ground the Artibonite.  They finally gave and struck a deal with
him when their yellow fever epidemic had just proved too costly.  Toussaint
had every reason to think the same thing would happen with the French.

When Leclerc and Toussaint came to terms it appears to me that neither side
really understood just how weak the other one was at that point.  The
Haitians had a military edge but they may not quite have known that they
had it.  Also, when Christophe surrendered, Toussaint was at immediate risk
of being captured or routed from his last position of strength in the
Cordon de l?Ouest­Christophe turned over Dondon which is in easy striking
distance of his headquarters at Marmelade.  So he thought he could sit out
a truce until the French were weakened enough by the inevitable fever
season (he had seen what happened to large numbers of recently arrived
British soldiers clustered on the coast) to be more easily attacked and
destroyed­with lower cost to his own side, which was something he always
considered.  And this strategy played out just as he expected­only without him.

As for the idea that Toussaint intentionally let himself be captured­ -- the
big argument for that is from Aimé Césiare?s book (still terrific, I just
reread it) and it is a very ideological argument.  I think it has SOME
element of truth­ it is clear that Toussaint understood that the whole
population was so thoroughly revolutionized that the Revolution would
happen with or without him?. But I think he meant for it to happen with him
rather than without­there is a lot of evidence that he was surprised and
outraged by his rest.

I really see him in a contradictory state of mind in those last days before
his arrest­half-knowing what was likely to happen, half-refusing to admit
it to himself?.

Now and then Toussaint did made a tragic error­which is why he makes sense
(to me anyway) as a tragic hero?.

msb

The Stone That the Builder Refused-- third and final volume of the Haitian
Revolutionary trilogy, is on sale November 9,  2004.   For a preview, visit
this site:
<http://faculty.goucher.edu/mbell/Stone%
20files/stone_that_the_builder_refused.htm>http://faculty.goucher.edu/mbell/Sto
ne%20files/stone_that_the_builder_refused.htm