24131: Dailey: (reply) Chavraux- BAI (fwd)

From: Peter Dailey <phdailey@msn.com>

In describing the Bureau des Avocats Internationaux as  Aristide or
Kurzban-funded Mr. Chavraux is incorrect. During the Preval administration
while they were preparing the Raboteau prosecution they received significant
  international support. I'm sure others can be more specific.

As to the "Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti"  I am as much in
the dark as anyone else.  Brian Concannon described himself as an attorney
for Mr. Aristide when he visited the ex-president in the CAR and Jamaica.
Kurzban's activities speak for themselves. Both organizations operated on
the assumption that there were no significant human rights violations, at
least none that required speaking out about publically, between October,
1994 and March, 2004.  As such they are vulnerable to precisely the sort of
criticism  Mr. Chavraux makes so incisively.

I don't know anything about most of the people Mr. Chavraux refers to.
Brian Concannon  is an outstanding human rights attorney and someone whose
personal integrity it would never occur to me to question.  During Aristide
II, he was well and truly used. Everyone in the human rights community
recognizes that what he is involved in today is political rather than human
rights advocacy. It would be a great mistake for that reason to dismiss it
out of hand.

Peter Dailey