24175: Wharram: (reply) Re. 24162: Ryan: [information request] safe travel to Haiti (fwd)

From: Bruce Wharram <bruce.wharram@sev.org>

Friends of ours travel to Haiti on medical missions twice a year.  They just
got back from a non-medical trip and gave me the following report:

 Bruce, Jane and I just returned on Jan 5 from Haiti. We were in PaP for 3
days, Baudin for 4 days and Jacmel for 1 day. We found it to be safe. I
would not go wandering around PaP however. You never know what areas are
safe. We have good escorts that keep us out of the trouble areas. We also
met with 2 other groups while we were there and they had no problems either.
Our church just had a group come back Jan 15 ( they were there Jan 8 to 15)
and also no problems. They were a Medical team and they had little hassle
going thru customs with their Meds. They did break up into smaller groups
going thru customs and felt that it worked out better than going thru as a
larger group. We are leaving again to go down Jan 31 and hope we find the
same conditions. So all in all I would not hesitate to advise people to go.
Just watch were you go. Haiti is never totally without risk, but then
neither are some areas of Toledo! hope this helps. Duane Sellers