24182: Binard: (reply) Re: 24162: Ryan: (information request) safe travel to Haiti (fwd) response binard (fwd)

From: Marc Binard <islandoc2001@yahoo.com>

Tim,
I just returned from Haiti last friday.
I traveled by car from PAP to Gonaives, then into the
mountains to Marmelade and on to Cap Haitian.

We did encounter a police road block between PAP and
gonaives, apparently to check vehicle papers and
insurance. There were a few men filling potholes who
tried to collect a little money for repairs also.

In no way did I feel threatened during my stay. Use a
bit of common sense and avoid the poorest sections of
PAP  at night and you should be OK.

I cant help you on the customs issue.

Marc Binard MD