24195: kathleen (comment) AFD: 24190: Anonymous (radio) Dissident Lavalas OP Leader Identifies Sponsors of Violence (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

It struck me while reading this, yet again, that even when I was with the
many supporting Aristide in the U.S. , that it was odd to start a Foundation
in his name when he was new and untried, and had no credentials for
democratic experience and rule.  Later, I realized that a lot of money being
contributed from the U.S. directly to this foundation.  Still later, I
learned that the Board of Directors for the Aristide Foundation for
Democracy was comprised of Aristide, Mildred Trouillet Aristide, Ira
Kurzban, and Dr. Paul Farmer.  While two of these people are unquestionably
heroes in the fight against AIDS in Haiti, that is or should be a different
and untainted issue than politics in the name of (untried) "democracy."
    Since that time, Aristide's record for actual democratic rule needs be
judged  by his deeds and misdeeds.
    Why was a foundation started and maintained in the name of a
just-elected Caribbean president, supported by the millions of dollars from
the U.S.?  I honestly don't get it.  Foundations are usually tributes to the
track records of leaders who have fulfilled the terms of  their leadership.

Kathleen Burke