24265: Hermantin( News)Guatemala fans cheer 2-1 victory over Haiti (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

SOCCER

Sun-Sentinel

Guatemala fans cheer 2-1 victory over Haiti

By Jeff Rusnak
Special correspondent

February 14, 2005

FORT LAUDERDALE · For the second time in two weeks, Guatemala found a
hospitable crowd and result in an international friendly at Lockhart
Stadium.

In front of a supportive crowd of about 10,000 fans Sunday night, Guatemala
got a first-half goal from Edwin Villatoro and second-half winner by Carlos
Castillo to earn a 2-1 win over Haiti.

Guatemala beat Denmark's under-21 team 3-2 in front of an estimated 12,000
fans on Jan. 29. Sunday's game shared a similar atmosphere, with Guatemala
fans providing a huge home-field advantage for their team.

Guatemala coach Ramon Maradiaga's starting 11 featured just two players from
last Wednesday's scoreless World Cup qualifier at Panama. Maradiaga used the
Haiti match to prepare for the UNCAF Nations Cup that begins Saturday in
Guatemala City.

"I'm satisfied with the performance," Maradiaga said. "Sometimes there were
mistakes, but that's why we continue to work."

Haitian fans were few, but those in attendance saw their team outshoot
Guatemala 21-7 and win 10 corner kicks. Unfortunately, except for an
Eliphene Cadet header in the 61st minute that tied the game 1-1, Haiti often
misfired badly around goal.

"We're lacking finishing and experience," Haiti coach Carlos Marcelin said.
"We missed a lot of scoring opportunities."

Guatemala opened the scoring when Villatoro headed a Carlos Figueroa cross
past Haiti goalkeeper Gabart Fenelon in the 18th minute. Figueroa nearly got
a second assist in the 36th minute with a looping pass into the penalty area
that Juan Carlos Plata chipped toward goal. Fenelon was off his line but
backtracked to tip the shot over the crossbar.

Haiti's Mones Chery got a clear chance for an equalizer in the 49th minute
but shot directly at Guatemala goalkeeper Paulo Motta from 15 yards. The
Haitians continued to pressure for the tying goal and got it with Cadet's
header off a Frantz Gilles cross in the 61st minute.

Castillo broke the tie in the 71st minute, taking a flick-on header from
Plata at the far post and stepping around a fallen Fenelon to score into an
open net.