24279: Orenstein: Issa El Saieh dies (fwd)

From: katie orenstein <katie@orenstein.com>

Thanks to John Black for forwarding the note about Issa Saieh.  Issa was one
of the first people I met in Haiti, when I came as a student 14 years ago.
On the first day I came, a drummer - Ti Ro Ro  - was there to bat tambou,
and I made a recording.  The next time I visited, the artist Gesner Armand
was in the house.  Another time, Issa sent me with a friend and a bottle of
rum to meet Andre Pierre.  It seemed that each time I visited Issa, he would
introduce me to someone new.  I didn't know Issa well, but he made such a
great impression on me. He, and the people I met through him, gave me a
thrilling introduction to Haiti--and I will remember him with gratitude.

Katie Orenstein