24291: Simidor (comment) re: Aubelin Jolicoeur (fwd)

From: daniel simidor <danielsimidor@yahoo.com>

My sympathy to Orenstein and Morse.  I happened to
hear Dieudonne Fardin on Radio Caraibes earlier today,
praising Jolicoeur out of proportions and trying to
use his death as a platform for a dubious Fardin
comeback!   Jolicoeur belonged to a past that, among
other Haitian progressives, I loved to revile and
rightly so, I think. That was back in the 1970s.  How
much did Jolicoeur serve the nation people now claim
he loved so much, and how much did he eagerly serve
the needs of the Prince, Baby Doc, who brought the
country to the brink where it tethers, just so, today?
 Alas, that period has now resurfaced as a golden
past!

My generation decried Jolicoeur as the ultimate
sycophant, a “tchoul blan.”  Little did we realize
that he had been all along a sycophant’s gentleman,
that there were depths of sycophancy he would sooner
retire than descend to.  Others like him, maybe Fardin
among them, faded away before their time, parce que
dans la province where they cut their first teeth,
they had been made to learn that “plier l’échine par
nécessité” was no excuse for enjoying getting screwed.
 Ben, vas-t-en déjà, Aubelin, it is time to move on.
My generation will remember you for a time, en honneur
des bons vieux jours that never were.

Et surtout, let’s not pretend that you ever stood with
the common man. Every aristocratic fiber of your
pseudo-self would have rebeled against such a notion!