24304: Lyall (reply) Haitian Bleu (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

Kind of late to reply. Perhaps a more to the point answer came
directly to the poster.
I've stopped by a warehouse and factory on the road to Jacmel where
they dry and process coffee  for Haitian Bleu. I bought a few
packages in Beaumont in the summer of 2003 when we stayed in that
ville during the rallye du Beaumont.

I had never seen it for sale in markets and wondered how to get ahold
of it normally.
Marabou did the packaging for the sachets which I bought in Beaumont.
Nice vacuum packages.
Now the Caribbena Market is selling a 12 ounce (maybe 10 ounce)
package for 59 dola ht. !!
Cafe peyi is 8 dola ht and Makaya is 14. From the same packer, Marabou.

I cannot imagine who is paying 4 or 5 times the price for regular coffee.

As to the organization, I  was  told (in a post in 2003)  that it is
a coop funded by various imperialist countries. The factory on route
Jacmel had some nice new equipment for checking the water content of
the beans and a fancy roasting machine. And new honda motos. Aside
from that it was a big concrete shed such as you would see anywhere.

They do need training in publicity and visitor centers. Any foreigner
would pay money to have a poster, but they have no extras available.
Or a coffee bag with 'Haitian Bleu' on it. I did wind up with a bag
tho.

A sign  out on that highway (with a higher percentage of foreigners
than any other road in the country) would get visitors in, then
actual packaged coffee and posters for sale would get some actual
money into a few people's pockets.

--
J. David Lyall
http://www.lyalls.net/