24516: Boswell: (reply) Re: 24495: Fuller: comments on Griffin report (fwd)

From: Richard A. Boswell <boswellr@pacbell.net>

I am in Haiti now.  I am in Jeremie which is a very different situation
then other parts of the country.   I cannot comment on what Anne Fuller
wrote except regarding the last line about elections.  These are my
preliminary general impressions:

1)  People are not holding much hope on the elections or that all
groups will be able to participate.
2)  So far the UN does not seem to be doing much except setting up
locations for  getting a good cup of coffee or a place to swim
3)  Unlike other trips people are more reluctant than ever to express
their views except in strict privacy.

None of these are a good sign.

but then again, these are merely preliminary

> .  I hope that’s
> where things are headed now—through the essential step
> of good elections with broad participation by all
> political sectors.

Richard A. Boswell
boswellr@pacbell.net