24551: Senou (comment) Supporting the Savannah Monument

Supporting the Savannah Monument

There is precedence in many things and there is a
reason for everything. We know that many of us don't
know how and when to contribute financially for a good
cause.

The missionary came to Haiti and bailed us out; a
majority of us had never contributed to assist our
church back home in paying their bill on time. We give
one gourde or 5 gourdes in the offering. In the U.S.,
we continue doing the same thing with the expectation
that the missionaries are going to bail us out again
and they are nowhere to be found. We were raised in a
system that did not give us the opportunity to support
our own initiative. We always rely on others.

I tend to see the bigger picture and the long-term
benefit any project can bring to a community, a city,
a state, a country or to an entire ethnic group. It is
not the first time nor the last time, we may have the
impression that someone felt in love with a particular
project or a particular organization.  Those who have
been involved in public life and politic for quite
some time usually step back and let it fly.

Today, High School Students who are using glencoe can
go online and Find out through
activities and web links why the month of May is
special for Haitians around the world.
Also, they can discover the historical links between
Haiti and the United States from the American
Revolution to the present. And also, learn about
Haitian culture in the United States: Haitian
communities, authors, art, food, music, and
celebrations. Complete the activities to explore
Haitian heritage.
http://www.glencoe.com/sec/socialstudies/btt/

After erecting the Savannah Monument, American
children will start asking their parents about the
role our grand parents had played in making this
country becoming a free nation. Mom and Dad, the
parents of these folks that we are treating like
second-class citizen died for us. Why we are helping
those who kicked our 'butt" and never done anything
for us and neglecting the sons and daughters of those
who fought and died for our freedom?. Tons of
questions will be asked and they must be answered and
these youngsters would be the one making law in the
congress and the Senate one day. Their perception and
view about Haiti and Haitian immigrant will change and
the Savannah Monument will be the cornerstone of that
change. That monument upon its erection will be the
catalyst of our standing in the United States of
America.

I first learned about the Savannah Project like most
of you, despite having an important game to go to that
day, I had to go over there to see the ground breaking
ceremony.  The expected inaugural date has been
postponed but these folks are working very hard to
make that dream becoming a reality.  The Savannah
project is beyond an individual or a group, it is
going to be a symbol that will jumpstart the Haitian
proud and spirit throughout the world. Our ancestors
were not forced to come, they were volunteered and
they were freedom fighters and they played a tangible
role during the Siege of Savannah in defending the
coalition Franco-American on October 1779.

Ladies and Gentlemen: We need to join hands together
and make this project becoming a reality. Today, you
can take a train and travel from London to Paris; and
this idea was originated during the era of Napoleon;
at that time, it was a dream but today it is a
reality. Who could have imagined that the ancestors of
the most impoverished country of this continent had
fought for the freedom of the richest country of this
planet? They did and no one can deny it.

Today my friends, you have a moral duty and a moral
obligation to make this golden becoming a reality

We need to come together and get the job done.  Again,
I'm leaving you with this quote of the late mother
Theresa: 'if we are not concerned about who get the
credit many things could be accomplished in this
world"

http://www.haitianhistory.org/
haitianhistory@bellsouth.net
Haitian American Historical Society
9822 NE 2nd Ave. Suite 3 ? Miami, FL
Phone: 786-621-0035 ? Fax: 305-759-0800
haitianhistory@bellsouth.net
www.HaitianHistory.org

Below is the Haitian American Historical Society Board
of Directors.

Bastien, Marleine  -
mbastien@haitianhistory.org

Belfort, Wilfrid  - Member