24594: Judson (reply) re: Èzili Dantò

Drjudson@aol.com

I have seen Èzili Dantò as a mural on the temple of Hungan Diex Pere in Canau (Artibonite Valley). This picture is almost identical the famous painting of Our Lady of Czestochowa (pronounce - ches-to-hova) discovered several hundred years ago in central Poland. It is better known as the black madonna. Somehow, this famous painting found its way into the culture of Voudon. My own theory is that Polish army officers who came to aid Napoleon in the revolution of 1795-1804, and later switched sides, brought the painting with them. The intermingling of Catholicism and Voudon known to have occurred in colonial Haiti may have extended to the adoption of this icon into Voudon culture. Does anyone else have any ideas as to the reason for this Polish painting to have been incorporated into Haitian culture as Èzili Dantò ?? John Judson