24677: Senou (comment) Election in 2005 and Articles 13 and 15

Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Election in 2005 and Articles 13 and 15

Election is the only way to change government in a
democratic country; therefore, the international
community has a duty to assist Haiti in that regard.
Haiti has organized the first free election in the
free world in the 1990’s and it could be great to
reiterate that exploit in this upcoming election.

I urge the Haitians in Haiti to register and vote in
this up coming election. Remember, there are thousands
of roads to go to Rome. Some of you are going to say
why voting and what is the guarantee to prevent
another reoccurrence?   It is a great question, but do
you have another alternative? There will be election
whether you like it or not and boycotting this
election is not an option. This is a unique
opportunity to regain our freedom, our independence.
The new president shall ask the United Nations to
remove its troops within a limited time after taking
office since Haiti does not have a military problem
but an economic dilemma. The arm embargo shall remain
in place until a constitutional government duly
elected in a fair and free election takes over.
One thing remains certain there will an election in
Haiti and not a selection and makes no mistake about
it. If the election is free and fair, we in the
Diaspora shall support the duly elected president of
Haiti, we shall invite him to visit our communities in
Atlanta, New York, Miami, Montreal, Jacksonville,
Orlando, Boston, and also the Haitian communities in
New Orleans and California and so on. We will make a
case to have a Haitian consulate in Atlanta and
California and we will make sure that He plays an
important role in asking the Haitian people to ask
their Deputé and Senator to remove or amend articles
13 and 15 of the constitution.

Folks, in life one needs to be fair and objective:
Many countries allow their national citizens to vote
abroad, would the Haitians be allowed to vote outside
of Haiti? I’m talking about the Haitian Nationals who did not
change their nationalities.

I strongly believe that the new congress must amend
the 1987 constitution and remove or modify articles
13and 15.  Also, they should eliminate the prime
minister post; they people voted for a president and
that president must be accountable for everything.
What we can do in the Diaspora is to support the
candidates who take a public stand toward removing
these two articles in the constitution.
(Haiti does not need foreigners to finance its
elections; the Diaspora can do it. Also, the Haitian
government does not need to spend a dime for Carnival,
if they put the right people in charge, it should be
an ongoing project and fund must be raised
continuously.)

Article 13 Haitian nationality is lost by: a) Naturalization in a foreign country; b) Holding a political post in the service of a foreign country; c) Continuous residence abroad of a naturalized
Haitian without duly granted authorization by a
competent official. Anyone who loses his nationality
in this manner may not reacquire it.

ARTICLE 15:
Dual Haitian and foreign nationality is in no case
permitted.

In life, there is a R.O.I. (Return on Investment) in
everything.
The Diaspora, which is expected to structure itself,
can provide to Haiti technical experts in almost
everything and assist the country financially.
However, Haiti shall not expect the Diaspora to pour
money and other assistance without asking anything in
return. Citizens from many countries enjoy the Dual
citizenship privilege and citizens from many countries
can vote outside of their native country.
Article 13 alinea B (Holding a political post in the
service of a foreign country) I think the country
needs the expertise of these folks more than anyone
else.
Articles 13 and 15 keep many good-hearted Haitian
national from helping their homeland.
Why the Haitians in Haiti refuse to include the
Diaspora in anything in Haiti except when it comes to
beg for money? Why the candidates come to campaign in the U.S. and Canada with full knowledge that we cannot vote? For over 17 years, the politicians in Haiti have made
a promise to tackle the double citizenship law. No
recorded discussion has ever made on that issue on the
Senate and the House.
In this coming election, we must ask any Deputé, any
Senator and any president who is seeking our
assistance to take a public stand on these two
articles. After the election, usually there is a
difference between a candidate and an elected
official; we are not going to wait for another 5 years
to finance a different candidate; we will put pressure
and force them to remove completely or amend articles
13 and 15 of the 1987’s constitution.
Folks, this is a political issue and keeps all
passions and emotions at bay; we are asking for
something that many other citizens throughout the
world are enjoying at this present moment. Haiti the
first Black Country in the world is denying its
citizens from playing a role in the country affaire
while depending on these folks for its survival and
this is unacceptable.

All normal and focus Haitians who are living and
raising a family in the U.S. and Canada are
naturalized and these folks send millions to Haiti
each month; also, the patriot act makes impossible for
any immigrant not to do so. It is a danger to ignore
the demands of the Haitians in the Diaspora. I do
understand that the Haitians inside are afraid of
losing ground if they allow the Diaspora to get
involved legally. The Haitians in the Diaspora whether
they are poor or rich, educated or non-educated have a
living standard very different from those back home
and they do understand the meaning of democracy. Also,
we all know these three words: Qui finance dirige.
Publicly not a single politician in Haiti will take a
stand against removing these two articles in the
constitution but privately this is something most of
them would try to avoid at any cost. All of them are
trying to protect their interest and our job is to
force a public discussion on this issue in an open
forum and show them the R.O.I.’s factor.

In life, there is a R.O.I. (Return on Investment) in
everything and Haiti has much more to win. Articles 13
and 15 are divisive, once crossing them out; we will
have one Haiti, the same treatment and opportunity for
everyone. First of all, we know that Haitians anywhere
in the world like politic and denying them that
privilege is blow. The law shall requires that Haitian
in the Diaspora who would like to involve in politic
or seek public office back home shall pay an annual
tax to his/her constituent back home; also, during
election season the Haitians who are living in the
Diaspora shall pay a much higher registration fee and
the CEP can use that money to finance the election. A
cool example: for Mayor: registration fee can be
$5,000.00 for big city and $500.00 for small city; for
Deputé $25,000.00 for big district and $5,000.00 for
small district; for Senator $45,000.00 and for
President $300,000.00. Assume we have 10 candidates
for President from the Diaspora: 3,000,000.00; 10 for
Senator :450,000.00; 10 for Deputé: 250,000.00. Voilà:
Haitians are financing their election.   Also, if the
country needs assistance for poll workers there are
various Haitians “cadres” in the U.S. and Canada who
can assist freely. “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic”

Joseph Alfred
P.O. BOX 1022
Douglasville, GA 30133