24684: Boswell (reply) re: Election in 2005 and Articles 13 and 15

From Richard A. Boswell <boswellr@pacbell.net>

Interesting comments about voting and dual nationality. I think the great difficulty in Haiti after the recent debacle is 1) whether there can be fair elections; 2) whether all interested parties to the election would be permitted to participate; and 3) whether all parties would honor the results of the election (which includes losing). After having recently returned from Haiti, I have serious doubts whether there can be real elections that would result in meeting these qualifications by next Fall. I would feel better about those prospects if there were a greater respect for the rule of law. I have yet to see respect for the rule of law even from many commenters to this group.

With respect to dual nationality voting, I am more concerned about the disenfranchisement of parties who are actually living in Haiti. There is no legitimate (legal) way to change the Constitution to allow for dual national voting until after the more serious electoral process issues are resolved.

Richard A. Boswell
boswellr@pacbell.net