24682: lyall (reply) Alternatives to phone cards for calling Haiti?

J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

I just saw an ad/publicite for comcell in the Haitian Times saying that with the 1250 gourde per month 'carte no limit' you can call the us for 5 gou per minute. Same as local rates. This was news to me, hadn't noticed such publicite here. The 'carte no limit' gives you unlimited INCOMING calls for, basically 950 gourdes and then 300 gou worth of calling credit. But if you don't get a lot of incoming local calls it isn't worth it. I tried it one month and decided that it was cheaper to get regular 300 gou cards and pay both ways, incoming and outgoing.

But, the international at local rates might be worth it. This is for your family to call from hayti to the usa.

Some long distance services in the usa allow you to pay like $5 per month to add a country to your plan, then a call to haiti is cheaper than a call from san fran to L.A., for instance. I did this with my cellular plan in kalifornya for a while.