24617: Dailey (comment) Canard?

Peter Dailey <phdailey@msn.com>

J. Jean-Pierre has described himself as a friend of Yvon Neptune, so perhaps when he refers to the report that Neptune has a U.S. passport as a "canard" he knows something the rest of us don't. The issue arose shortly before the Haitian Senate was set to vote on Neptune's nomination as Prime Minister. Neptune faced a barrage of questions from journalists and refused to answer them stating instead that he had provided the Senate committee with all the information they had requested regarding his personal qualifications and would abide by their decision.

I would think that the question would be a natural one to ask of any Haitian politician- Father Jean-Juste, Latortue, or Andy Apaid for instance- who has resided in the U.S. for extended periods of time. In Jean-Juste's case I understand that he has been a Miami resident since sometime in the 'seventies.

I have seen Ann Auguste referred to several times as a U.S. citizen. If so this is a plain enough indication to U.S. passport holders that if you land in the shit somewhere don't expect the consular service to go busting down walls to get you out. I know of one fellow who crossed the Burmese border into India on foot sans visa, was picked up by the army and held for six months despite the direct intervention of Secretary of Defense Cohen and a letter from Senate Democrats stating they would hold up a bill providing for the sale of jet fighters to India until he was released.

Peter Dailey