24731: Pershing (ask) re: 24725: Beckett re: about travel to Les Cayes

Tjpershing@aol.com

Can someone tell me more about the American University of the Caribbean in Les Cayes? T. Pershing
--- Begin Message ---
From: Greg Beckett <beckett@uchicago.edu>

I received this message and thought it best to ask the list. Please reply directly to Gerald Elgert at <is423@juno.com>

Thanks.
Greg

Greetings
As a "friend," a visiting college professor to the American University of the Caribbean in Les Cayes, I am planning to travel there for teaching this summer. My concern is in not only getting there, but in local conditions. One plan is to bring a vehicle down, through the port at Mariguane, and drive to Les Cayes from there. Another is to fly to PAP and hop aboard a local Carbintair flight to Les Cayes. I will be bring along a considerable amount of teaching materials and fear for loss of those as well as my own personal security. Is Les Cayes really out of harm's way and "peaceful," or are there unreported incidents that for whatever reasons are not making the news?

--- End Message ---