24743: Durban: (comment) re. 24741 Mwe - Bribes, etc.

Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

Just a couple of comments on the recent discussion on importing
the truck through Miragoane:
My hope is that John would realize that part of his problem has
stemmed precisely from paying bribes in the first place.  Once
you start paying extortion, it's hard to stop, and the worst
part of it is that the extortionist's friends hear about it and
decide to get their share as well.
Taking it one step further, I would add that Haiti's reputation
as a corrupt place is due only partly to the government's
inability or unwillingness to crack down on corrupt civil
servants.  Ultimately, it is the people who pay the bribes who
must bear some of the responsibility as well.

As for Daniel Simidor's belief (Corbett #24737) that John could
simply complain to the U.S. Consulate, which would be able to
make things right?  Well, I do admire Daniel's cogent analyses
expressed on this forum, but his apparent belief that the U.S.
Consulate would be willing or able to help on something as
mundane as a customs bill strikes me as highly unlikely.  I
think it stems from his mistaken assumption as to the influence
of the U.S. Embassy (and the other friends of Haiti).  My
understanding is that Haiti actually does have a government of
its own, and given the country's inferiority complex, I would
rather suspect any government would tend to get a bit touchy
when it feels it is being pushed.  Maybe this is why the U.N.,
with 7,400 critically-needed peacekeepers on the ground, tiptoes
around exerting its authority.
L. Durban