24777: Mwe (reply) re: 24769: Simidor re: 24743: Durban re. 24741 Mwe - Bribes, etc.

John Ba Mwe <LOCCM@aol.com>

Thank you for your comments and interest. The bribe in this case was a $12 watch from Wallmart. The hundreds of dollars given to the department of cults was not a bribe, they told me that this was fees to process the paperwork. I have a question. After standing in line for the better part of two days to get an id card, I was approached by a man who said that if I gave him $20 US he would get the work done right away. I gave him the money and he took me to an office where I was told that everything was in order but that I would have to give the man at the desk, $200. I said no and he left and never came back so after a long time, I left. When I got outside, I confronted the man who took the $20 and surprisingly he gave me the $20. When standing in line to get truck plates, ins. etc. and you pay to get business done quickly, are these considered bribes or just normal business in Haiti?

Maybe now you know why I am called John Ba Mwe