Haitian cop a witness of his troubled country's violence
By MIKE WILLIAMS
Cox News Service
Friday, April 15, 2005

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Seraphin Pierre is the policeman to the dead.

For the past year, he has been quite busy, because in tormented Haiti there is no shortage of dead people.

"I am the first to see them when they are brought in," he said, leaning against an iron gate near the entrance to Haiti's public morgue. "My job is to keep security here. Nobody can pass unless I allow them in."

Pierre, 31, is witness to the gruesome end product of Haiti's current chaos. Since former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide fled an armed rebellion in February 2004, violence has swept across this Caribbean nation. Human rights groups estimate that hundreds of people have been killed violently here since September.

The bodies flow into the morgue, a squat, ugly building tucked behind the capital's main hospital, in fits and starts.

The violent deaths are apart from the legions of other victims in Haiti: the thousands of impoverished people who die from disease and starvation. Most of those bodies are not brought to the morgue, but slip away, uncounted, sometimes buried in quickly-dug graves in rural villages where families may not be able to afford even a rudimentary plank coffin.

Many of the bodies Pierre has seen in the past year have been burned, shot or torn apart by machete cuts. They are victims of political discord, gang warfare and gun battles between police and criminals. Some are innocent bystanders unlucky enough to be hit by stray bullets.

Some of the killings are intended as political statements. Those bodies come to the morgue beheaded or horribly burned after they have been necklaced — immolated by flames from a tire secured around the neck that is then set ablaze.

The arrival of the bodies sets off a ritual of mourning in a country where death is a mystical force, wrapped in the shrouds of Afro-Caribbean voodoo beliefs. Families throng to the morgue to recover their loved ones, begging in tears to be let in through Pierre's gate.

Some of the dead are high-profile criminals, including two notorious gang leaders recently killed in police raids in a troubled Port-au-Prince slum.

Like desperadoes from the old American West, these men fascinate the Haitian public. Their deaths draw flocks of curious onlookers, along with local journalists who hope to snap photographs of the disfigured corpses that will be prominently displayed in the newspapers.

In the midst of the hubub, Pierre is quiet but firm, ordering the families and photographers in or out, depending upon what his superiors tell him. He doesn't flinch from the terrible wounds he sees, mostly because he has seen them so often before.

More than that, he has suffered such wounds himself.

He hoists his shirt to show an inch-wide scar running from his belly button up his chest. He turns around and points to the bullet entry wounds on his back and shoulder.

Pierre was shot four years ago by another policeman, a man he says was promoted after the deed.

"I got shot because I told them I wasn't a politician," he said. "I didn't agree with Lavalas," Aristide's political party.

Pierre was driving home one day after work when it happened. He stopped in traffic for what he thought was an accident, then was assaulted by the other police officer, who was apparently waiting in ambush.

"I tried to bring a court case against him, but they shot my father," he said. "They left a message at my sister's house that said, 'Tell your brother if he wants to live in peace, never mention justice.'"

A thick, healthy man, Pierre recovered. But he was left with an infection from one of the wounds in his arm, which he now keeps wrapped in a bandage.

"I have asked to go to Miami for more treatment, but the government gives me nothing," he said.

Pierre's story shocks no one in a country where violence is an almost daily occurrence.

During last year's revolt against Aristide, bodies were found dumped on the streets around the capital nearly every day. In one rural town, victims of a gun battle were left rotting for days on a ragged hillside, their relatives afraid to fetch them.

Despite the chaos in his country, Pierre is proud to be a policeman. His pay is better than most Haitians earn — the equivalent of about $200 per month — but he still struggles to support his wife and three children. Haiti is the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation.

Pierre believes he is serving his country, trying to make Haiti a safer, better place.

But he has few illusions.

"Most men become policemen so they can make money from corruption," he said. "You only get promotions based on who you know, not on how you do your job."

Haiti's police have been criticized by human rights groups for brutality. Aristide's supporters say they are unfairly targeted, and many of them have been arrested, only to languish for months in jail without trials.

The United Nations has brought about 1,400 foreign police officers to Haiti, who are working with the local police on operations and helping to train new officers. The U.N.'s goal is to create a professional, corruption-free force that will restore order in Haiti.

Pierre hopes the U.N.'s effort will succeed, but he is realistic.

"I've been a policeman for six years," he said. "It is so dangerous that we used to wear t-shirts that said, '$1,000 for a coffin.' As a policeman, I consider myself to be a person who is already dead."

Mike Williams' e-mail address is mwilliams@coxnews.com