24791: Senou (comment) 2005: Year of Languages

Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

2005 : Year of Languages

What is your plan to bring alive the Haitian National
Language? Creole is a poetic language, Creole is a
beautiful language, Creole is the language of Haiti
the First Black Republic.

We are single out in the Caribbean and we are the only
country in the region that speaks a different
language. Our neighbor speaks Spanish, our close
friend located a few miles from Tortuga Island and
Port-de-Paix speaks Spanish, our eternal friend
Jamaica located a few miles from our mainland speaks
English.
I call again Jamaica our eternal Friend. My fellow
Haitian citizens, you need to know your history; a
Jamaican citizen by the name of Boukman played an
important role in bringing us together on August 21,
1791 and that date marked the beginning of the Haitian
revolution that lasted 13 years. Jamaica and Cuba are
our closet allies in the region. When Haitian people
fled poverty and persecution, Jamaica and Cuba are the
first to assist us and we shall say Thank you and show
our gratitude to the Jamaican and the Cuban people.
Whether you like it or not Haiti played an important
role in helping the United States of America becoming
a free nation; whether you like it or not Jamaican
played a predominant role in helping us to become the
first independent Black Country in the world. Remember
our ancestors were volunteered; they went to fight
freely in the Jungle of Savannah and therefore the
American people black and white must acknowledge that
assistance. The Americans shall not let the sin of
discrimination and prejudice preventing them from
recognizing the hard work of our ancestors in making
them becoming an independent state.
We shall respect every single Jamaican like we demand
the Americans to show us some gratitude for helping
them becoming a free nation. The Jamaican citizens
shall feel comfortable among every single Haitian
citizen. Jamaica is a small island that took its
independence in the 1960’s but this country has a long
history. Jamaicans are proud of their heritage and
they embrace their culture. Everywhere you see a
Jamaican citizen, you should not ask him/her where
he/she comes from unless you are blind. We Haitians
shall imitate the Jamaican in valorizing our culture.
How can we learn and appreciate other people culture
if we do not cherish our own culture.  Haitian
citizen, you need to always be thankful and merciful
to the descendents of those who help you in the past.
How can you ask the Americans to show some merci to
our refugees while we have not acknowledge publicly
that Jamaica played an important role in our
independence.
My friends, wherever you may be right now some people
did play a role in helping you getting there. No one
has ever succeeded alone and one shall be thankful and
merciful to those and to the descendents of those who
assisted you in the past. The small diplomatic clash
between Haiti and Jamaica is expected to come to a
past. But my Jamaicans brothers and sisters we will
remain friends and good friends today, tomorrow and
forever.

As we are celebrating the Year of Languages, I call
upon our Jamaican brothers and sisters, our Cuban
brothers and sisters, and our people of African
descendents, European descendents, Asiatic
descendents, and Hispanic descendents, and specially
our African American brothers and sisters who are our
base in the United States whether you like it or not
we count on you to support us; you see clearly that
Haitians people pick up at sea and are being sent back
and others are allowed to stay; hopefully one day the
Haitian people will receive a better treatment in the
land of the free. Again, we shall be thankful to the
African Americans who always stand with us in good and
bad time.
We shall not let the English language, the Spanish
language, the French language and the Creole language
interfering in our sensitive relationship; we shall
from now on speak the same the language, which is the
language of Love. Since you speak the language of
love, you shall be able to assist the Haitian refugees
who are going through some tough time in your area. .
Again 2005 is the Year of Languages; Haitian people
shall promote the Haitian languages, which are the
Creole and the French language. What is a language? It
is a tool to communicate. Haitians shall be encouraged
to speak the Creole language and shall make an effort
to learn the French Language as well.  The idea of
saying that the French Language is a colonial language
is purely ridiculous. I wish those “toutists” Mr. and
Mrs. Know it all allow the Experts in that field
promoting the Creole languages, instead of having a
bunch of “ratés” who fail in the system and jump in
the Creole bandwagon. The fact that you speak Creole,
English, French or Spanish does not make you an expert
in teaching any of these languages. You need to go to
school and get proper training.
A good articulation of the Creole and the French
languages can make Haiti becoming a bilingual country
within the next 50 years; but I must confess that the
influence of the English Language may make it
impossible.
---------------------

Next project in Atlanta: the Second Annual Symposium
on Haiti and Haitian Communities in the Diaspora,
which will include a mini-fair. Framework: Second Annual Symposium on Haiti: The
Unity Conference

THEME:  Haiti Today and Tomorrow: The vital Role of
Haiti in the World of nations and The Haitian Presence in the U.S. and celebrating the 201 years of Haiti, the First Black Republic.

Need more info, just fire an email to
joe_Alfred@yahoo.com
http://www.hcronline.org

Joseph Alfred P.O. BOX 1022 Douglasville, GA 30133
Joe_Alfred@yahoo.com