24803: binard (reply) re: 24793: Severe: LA Times Story on Oloffson Hotel

Marc Binard <islandoc2001@yahoo.com>

Marc Binard wrote
I have enjoyed visiting the Oloffson since 1971.
I find William's description of the Oloffson to be
innaccurate and unfair.

To borrow a phrase desrcibing Pawleys Island SC, the
Oloffson has always been " Elegantly Shabby." Perhaps
a bit more so today than in years past but the fact
that Mr Morse has been able to just keep the Oloffson
open is a tribute to his tenacity. It is probably
bordering on miraculous that the hotel hasnt been
burned down by political or electrical gremlins.

On my last visit in Jan 05, I found evidence of recent
repairs and the service was , as always, gracious and
welcoming. Sitting on the balcon at night enjoying a
nice dinner followed by an incredible RAM concert is
one of the greatest pleasures PAP has to offer.
Personally, I think 117 dollars for a suite is a
bargain.

Regarding security.On my last visit, my travel
companion ( a newcomer to Haiti)noted that the
security guards ,armed with full automatic M16s ,took
the time to remove their helmets when they entered the
hotel. In this gesture , I saw a bit of Haiti in a
microcosm. Civility and respect, even in the face of
potential violence and instability.

Its a shame that once again the press has lost an
opportunity to present Haiti and two of its national
treasures , the Oloffson and the band RAM, in a more positive light.