24838: binard (reply) re: 24822: Labrom re 24793 - LA Times article

Marc Binard <islandoc2001@yahoo.com>

Knocking Haiti is a common phenomenon which is not
limited to the press.

I am a sometime visitor to lonely planet's thorn tree
site which offers travel advice.

I have been amazed at the extraordinary attacks made
on anyone who even mentions a passing interest in
visiting Haiti. Many of the negative comments came
from across the border in the DR, often by owners of
tourista oriented businesses.

Finally, I had read enough and I started taking each
negative commentator to task and questioning their
data and motivation. I found a common pattern,
negative comments came from people who had usually
NEVER been to Haiti and positive comments came from
those who had. After some persistent posting, I find
now that Haiti queries on the site are not met with
any fresh barrage of negativity. For a real insight,
go to lonely planets thorn tree website, visit
carribean branch and type in " Haiti" in the search
space. Look at the posts from March especially those
by rockybar and islandoc.

I have just returned from a sail to Cap from Provo. I
was helping a writer for Wooden Boat magazine enter
the country to write an article on Haitian sloops. His
reaction to Haiti was similar other people who I have
taken to haiti. He was overwhelmed by the physical
beauty of the island and the reception he received
from the Haitian people. He described the physical
beauty of sailing into Haiti as way beyond what he had
seen in Cuba.

My response to Haiti bashers is a simple one. I always
ask " Have you been there?" Invariably, the answer is
" No, but..I read or I heard.." My solution is
whenever possible, I take along a Haiti newcomer and
invariably, their response is positive.

Marc Binard
Abaco Bahamas