24845: Morris (reply) re: 24841 on Andre Pierre

Randall Morris <mysteries@aol.com>

Andre Pierre is another library burning down. His paintings from the very beginning have been teaching devices about the Vodou pantheon. He is the master trickster, the cultural gatekeeper, the bridge between the world of art and the world of spirit. He is a Hungan (priest) and there are few priest/painters around right now. Who better on this earth to translate for us.

There was a time when if you went to Haiti and didnt visit Andre Pierre then there was a gash in your itinerary. Always seeing him you were impressed to the bone with the stark courage and deep intelligence it takes to balance family, artmaking, religion, politics in order to stay on your feet in the dangerous wonder that is Haiti. Andre Pierre is one of the reasons, along with Liautaud and Hyppolite, that I was pulled into the world of cultural art. I never bought anything from him, he rarely had something when I visited, and most of the time I couldnt afford it in those days, but he was a touchstone who gave me guidance, who looked into my past and present and in his major gaptoothed grinning wisdom spent hours on the cards with me.

Everald Brown in Jamaica died a short time ago. Leonard Daley and Doc Williamson are the two old masters still living on that island. We have allowed so many of these gatekeepers of culture to disappear undocumented, underrated, not only in the market sense but also and mostly as the carriers of integrity and wisdom, as thinkers and reasoners from within their cultures who came to messages of peace and survival through choice and soul. There are few films about Haiti that didnt have Pierre in a cameo because nearly everything he said was a chant, a song, a projection of wisdom from a hard life in the spirit.

Thanks, Don for calling this out.

Randall