24852: Wilentz (comment) re: 24845: Morris re: 24841 on Andre Pierre

Amy Wilentz <amywile@aol.com>

I can't begin to say how strongly I feel about the genius of Andre Pierre. If he'd lived in Paris instead of in the far reaches of the old French empire, he might have been recognized for his artistic genius, but instead he lies forgotten by the world -- Picasso would have understood the pain of this public oblivion, a terrible fate for an artist of Pierre's calibre.

We on the outside care so much that he be remembered, but I find it hard to believe that Pierre would really have minded. He was very much located in the here and now, and loved to befuddle outsiders and vistors with mythy mysteries and ancient lore, rum poured out over the hard ground of his lakou -- plus his endless visionary prophesying.

I often wondered if he was kind to his circle of relations (when I last discussed family matters with him, he told me he had 32 children -- and that was a long time ago), and where his political loyalties might lie. But his dazzling world of rainbows and tambou and loas made all these worldy quibbles seem less than central.

Well, I will miss him when he's gone. I wish I had a painting.

Amy Wilentz