24976: kathleen (comment on environment) problems in Paradise/Papay (fwd)

From: kathleen burke <kathleenburke704@hotmail.com>

Unbelievably, in this lovely spot one uses to get away from PortauPrince,
just when Chavannes is getting an award for helping the environment in
Haiti, the sisters at the "Ecole Normale" authorized the guardien to make a
ti Titayen - HUGE dump of fatra- plastics, cans, smelly stuff, medical
waste?- on the side of the road, stinking, reeking, behind one school,
across from another, on the road leading to private homes and the Catholic
church; all the children and adults on foot need to pass that road.  It took
me weeks to get the attention of the proper authorities, and it is just now
getting attention.  Oh, did I mention that it is in a copse of trees on a
riverbank?  Incredible.  This is the.......stupidity? malice? selfishness?
suppressed rage? insanity? that makes me despair.  How can this happen in
the open, amidst responsible adults?  The head Brother reported that, of
course, the sister in charge said, I didn't dump it there,("Se pa fot mwen")
but she authorized it.  For what?
Well, I for one got a rash, fever, and vomiting over two weeks.  This is the
kind of thing that makes me want to give up. Meanwhile there are public
service announcements vs same on all radio stations.It seems like some of
the Haitian people are against Haiti more than any "blan."  kathleen burke