24979: Hermantin(News)Haitian Flag Day celebration held this Saturday (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Haitian Flag Day celebration held this Saturday
By Bill DiPaolo

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

LAKE PARK — Hundreds of local residents are expected Saturday at Kelsey Park
to sample Haitian foods, play soccer, win prizes and enjoy rides and games
at the fifth annual Haitian Flag Day celebration.

"The event gets bigger every year. We expect 500 to 1,000 people," said
organizer Daniel Fortunato, a chiropractor who has a practice in Palm Beach
Gardens. "We have music, hula hoops, food — everybody has a great time."

On May 18, Haitian-Americans will officially celebrate the creation of the
flag that symbolizes Haiti's struggle and liberation from France. The flag
was created that day in 1803, months before Haiti declared its independence
in January 1804 when the former slaves declared their independence from
France. Haiti was only the second republic in the Americas and the first
black colony to get its independence from European colonialists.

The Lake Park event is a chance for Haitian-American families to keep in
touch, said Lydia Charles, a receptionist at Fortunato's office. She was
born in Haiti and came to the United States when she was 13. After several
years in New England, she moved to Lake Park 11 years ago. She and her
husband, Emmanuel, have three children.

South Florida is home to the largest number of Haitians outside of Haiti.
There are about 31,000 Haitian immigrants in Palm Beach County, according to
the 2000 census. Community leaders say the actual number is probably more
than double the census figure.

One of the goals of the celebration is to promote more cooperation between
Haitians, Hispanics, blacks and other groups, said James Leger, director of
a Creole-speaking sub-radio station 105.5 FM. Leger, 29, was born in Haiti
and came to Palm Beach County 17 years ago. He and his wife, Raymon, have
two daughters.

Haitian Flag Day was started in Kelsey Park four years ago by Fortunato as a
result of the relationships he built with many of his Haitian-American
patients. About one-fourth of Lake Park's 8,700 residents are
Haitian-Americans.

"As I had more and more Haitian patients, we became friends. Two years ago,
about a dozen employees from the office and I went to Haiti. We had a great
experience. It's a deeply religious nation, very beautiful," said Fortunato.

Haitian-Americans will be promoting increased activism at the celebration.
The importance of education and voting also will be stressed.

"Overall life for Haitians is improving. We are earning respect. We are
voting more. We are going to college more. I'm confident about the future,"
Leger said.

A bill_dipaolo@pbpost.com

Where: Kelsey Park in Lake Park

Program: Free barbecue and Haitian food and drinks. Rides for kids.

When: noon-4 p.m. Saturday.

Admission: Free.

Information: (561) 627-8600