24981: Severe: RE: 24966: (response) Chamberlain: Neptune in jail (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

I would say that Chamberlain's right about the multitude of hipocrisy
concerning the killing of Jean Dominique or political controversies in
general. I would say that it extends to all sides of the political divide in
Haiti. For example, Dany Toussaint's name figured quite prominently in the
Dominique killing when he was a member of Lavalas. All of the Anti-Aristide
media/political figures made a big deal about it, but once Toussaint left
Lavalas all the hubbub died down. Another example, when the 184 tried to
have some of their protests in 2003/2004 and the police stopped them
claiming that the organizers didn't give enough notice(48 hrs required under
the Haitian Constitution). Now the shoe's on the other foot and it is
Lavalas that is having its marches interrupted under the same rationale.

Be that as it may, Neptune's current detention is unconstitutional and
unlawful. Simidor lays out an impressive case arguing for Neptune's
incarceration. The problem is that the State has never made that argument
where it counts, in a court of law. If the state's theory of the case is
that the buck stops with Neptune since he was PM when the killings happened,
OK. But we shouldn't be in the position of guessing what the State's case is
at this late date. Neptune should of been brought before a judge month ago(I
don't know if arraign is the correct word in the Haitian context). My hope
is that all who rightfully speak against Neptune's unlawful detention, speak
as forcefully for justice when the politcial climate changes, as it always
does, and it is Gousse or Latortue on the dock.