25029: News - Wharram -Rains kill two people in Haiti (fwd)

From: Bruce Wharram <bruce.wharram@sev.org>

 Rains kill two people in Haiti
AP
Sunday, May 08, 2005

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Heavy rains flooded a poor neighbourhood in
Haiti's capital early yesterday, killing two people who were trapped inside
their apartments, relatives and police said.

Gilbert Boisguene 43, said he told his seven children to get on top of a
table as water rose overnight in his two-bedroom apartment in the Nazon
neighborhood in Port-au-Prince.

He started carrying them out one-by-one but couldn't reach his 14-year-old
daughter in time to save her.

"When I went back for my 14-year-old daughter, the water had reached the
ceiling and I couldn't find her," said Boisguene, barefoot and caked in mud.
"When the water went down we found her body floating. She was dead."

Police spokeswoman Gessy Coicou said police recovered the body of another
person who drowned inside an apartment but could not provide details about
the victim. There were no reports of flood victims in other parts of
Port-au-Prince, she said.