25072: (reply) Chamberlain: 25063: Saint-Vil: (response) Saint-Vil: Duvalier (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> The decision to annull the Raboteau trial is only the latest
manifestation
of the sherriff's handy work.
The U.S. trained Duvaliers' Tonton Macoutes and Leopards. So, forget about
him being brought to "justice" in our lifetime.

This is ridiculous.  Yes, the US is a disgusting rogue state for its
dismissal of international institutions that may criticise it (such as the
International Criminal Court).  But the failure to take action against the
Duvaliers, recover the money they stole, the overturning of the Raboteau
case and other legal failures since 1986 have everything to do with the
hopeless Haitian legal system and its corruption, as any foreigner working
with it (Concannon etc) knows only too well.

The constant search for someone else, some other country to blame --
anything but accept the rot in the system itself, independently of any
foreigner(s) -- is what's holding Haiti back.  All this is encouraged by
the Perpetual Conspiracists abroad (notably the "rent-a-revo" people), who
are thus delaying attempts to tackle the problem.  Everyone gets off on a
satisfying "it isn't me, it's never me" so-called analysis.

Saint-Vil's fatalistic "So, forget about him being brought to 'justice' in
our lifetime" is a perfect example of such refusal to take responsibility.
Similar to explanations such as "It's God's will."  All bogus excuses for
doing absolutely nothing, always the easiest course to take.

And let's remember the justice system was little different under Aristide
-- pretty much just as incompetent and just as corrupt.  We know from some
list-members that he couldn't possibly be responsible for any of these
failings himself.  Perhaps he was secretly paid millions by the US to keep
the system rotten...  Whatever.

        Greg Chamberlain