25077: Corbett: Specialty bibliography: Missionaries and church in Haiti

>From Bob Corbett:

Folks,  I separate out some books in my library into "specialty"
collections.  These include novels, plays and fiction about Haiti written
by foreigners, art books on Haitian art, children's books, and then books
that deal with foreign missionaries.

Yesterday I had a long long list of books one customer wanted to buy from
my list and it included nearly everything that deal with missionaries.
This got me curious about what I have in my own library and what I'm
missing.

Thus I ran a search on "Missionary activities" in my library program and
the program I use (ProCite4 -- a library program) belched out the follow
63 items in my library.

Can any of you add items in the English language to this list?  I would
appreciate any help.

Thanks

Bob Corbett

=============================

Reference List

	1. 	A TAMBO DANCE IN HAYTI. Montpelier, Vermont: Vermont Watchman
& State Journal; 1846 Sep 17.
Note: Missionary's description of a Voodoo dance he/she is watching.

	2. 	Adams, Theodore F. BAPTISTS AROUND THE WORLD. Nashville, TENN:
Broadman Press; 1967.

	3. 	Anderson, Mildred. BEYOND ALL THIS:  THIRTY YEARS WITH THE
MOUNTAIN PEASANTS OF HAITI. Grand Rapids, MI: Baptist Haiti Mission; 1979.

	4. 	Anon. EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF HAITI -- A BRIEF OVERVIEW.

	5. 	---. HISTORY OF HAITI: DESSALINES. New York: J. and J. Harper;
1825 Oct.
Note: This is in Vol. VI, no. 10 of American Missionary Register.  The History
of Haiti was an on-going history.  This particular issue just has the
section on Dessalines which includes quotes from various documents.  The
Dessalines history is on pages: 292-297.

It includes:  1.  Declaration of Independence.  2.  Negroes from U.S. invited
to Haiti.  3. Proclamation of Dessalines against the French.  4.  Cruelty of
Dessalines -- massacre of the French.  5.  Dessalines fails in Dominican
invasion.  6.  Dessalines declares as Emperor  7.  Condition of the
people.  8.  Dessalines prepares against invasion. 9.  Nature of
Dessalines' death.

	6. 	---. LETTERS OF HEALTH WORKERS IN HAITI FROM 1987.

	7. 	Barclay, Heather. HAITI: BLUES FOR JOY. Adrian, Michigan:
Michigan Christian Advocate; 1984.

	8. 	Bean, Theodore D. D. D. S. COME EAT:  THE ADVENTURES OF AN
AMERICAN VOLUNTEER DENTIST IN HAITI. Chapel Hill, NC: Professional Press;
1999; ISBN: 1-57087-492-1.

	9. 	Beaumont-La-Ronce, Helene de. UNE AURORE SOUS LES TROPIQUES:
LES SOEURS DE SAINT-FRANCOIS D'ASSISE EN HAITI. Quebec: Therien Freres; 1949.

	10. 	Boyce, William H. and Penney Bush-Boyce. THE MISSIONARY
FAMILY -- ONE FAMILY'S EXPERIENCE IN THE REPUBLIC OF HAITI.
Note: Bill and Penney went many times with our group.

	11. 	Breathett, George. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN HAITI (1704 - 1785).
Salisbury, North Carolina: Documentary Publications; 1982; ISBN: 0-89712-103-1.

	12. 	---. CATHOLIC MISSIONARY ACTIVITY AND THE NEGRO SLAVE IN
HAITI.

	13. 	Breda, Jeremie. LIFE IN HAITI::  VOODOO AND THE CHURCH. The
Commonweal. 1963 May 24:241-244.
Note: Interesting claim:  quotes another scholar  "...there are no unbelievers
and no non-practicing adept, though the practices vary immensely among
individuals."  Point:  Voodoo is a cultural phenomenon as much as a
religious one.

	14. 	Brodwin, Paul E. CATHOLIC COMMENTARY ON PROTESTANT CONVERSION
IN RURAL HAITI. Journal of Haitian Studies. 1995 Spring; vol 1( no 1):1-7.

	15. 	Buissereth, Joel and Arlen Miller. THE PATH OF FAITH:  ONE
HAITI'S JOURNEY. Sugarcreek, Ohio: Palm Tree Press; 2001; ISBN: 0-9709465-0-3.

	16. 	Burdick, Sandra L. compiler. GOD IS NO STRANGER. Grand Rapids,
MI: Baptist Mission Haiti; 1970.   Note: Short quotes from the Bible.

	17. 	Bustin, G. T. MY FIRST FIFTY YEARS. Intercession City,
Florida: G.T. Bustin; 1953.

	18. 	Church of the Nazarene. FRONTIERS OF THE KINGDOM. Kansas City,
MO: Nazarene Publishing House; 1955.  Note: Brief mention of the
missionary work in Haiti with pictures of  missionaries.

	19. 	Crow, Linda. HAITI I LOVE YOU. Kansas City, Mo: Nazarene
Publishing House; 1970.

	20. 	---. VICTORY OVER VOODOO: TESTIMONIES OF HAITIAN CHRISTIANS.
Kansas City, MO: Nazarene Publishing House; 1975.

	21. 	Detweiler, Charles S. THE WAITING ISLES. Philadelphia: The
Judson Press; 1930.
Note: Signed by Detweiler.  Missionary book of the Northern Baptists.

	22. 	Doan, Dick and Donna. WEST INDIES SELF HELP.
Note: Various numbers of their newsletter.

	23. 	Duewel, Wesley. YIPPEE IN MY SOUL:  THE STORY OF A MISSIONARY
NURSE IN THE REMOTE MOUNTAINS OF HAITI. Greenwood, Ind.: OMS International;
1992.

	24. 	Gouge, Linda Lee. ESTHER'S GOD AND THE WITCH DOCTOR. Jefferson
City, MO: Linda Lee Gouge; 1981.

	25. 	Graves, William W. BAPTIST TRADE WINDS. Nashville, TN:
Convention Press; 1979.

	26. 	Greene, Anne. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN HAITI:  POLITICAL AND
SOCIAL CHANGE. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press; 1993; ISBN:
0-87013-327-6.

	27. 	Griffiths, Leslie. HISTORY OF METHODISM IN HAITI. Port-au-
Prince: Iprimerie Methodiste; 1991.

	28. 	Hanna, The Rev. S. W. NOTES TO A VISIT TO SOME PARTS OF
HAITI:  JAN. FEB. 1835. London: L. and G. Seeley; 1836.
Note: critizes MadKensie book.

	29. 	Harner, Ruth. TI-FAM:  WITCH DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER. Grand Rapids,
Michigan: Child Evangelism Fellowship Press; 1963.
Note: Oversized.  "An exciting, true-lire falsh card missionary story for boys
and girls."

	30. 	Harris, Boaz Alexander. HISTORY OF MY ACTIVITIES AND
ACHIEVEMENTS AS MISSIONARY FOR 25 YEARS IN THE REPUBLIC OF HAITI. New Jersey:
The Afro-American Baptist Convention; 1946.
Note: Rare edition, signed by author in two places.  Note use of Afro-American
as pubisher.  Inside it was another small booklet:  SPEECHES DELIVERED BY
HAITIAN AUTHORITIES ON THE OCCASION OF OUR MISSIONARY DR. BOAZ ALEXANDER
HARRIS.  No date.  Both books are shelved at 1414 side by side.

	31. 	Hayes, Donna-Marie. TOUCHING HAITI:  A MEDICAL MISSION STORY.
Boise, Idaho: The Johnson Company, Northwest; 2001.

	32. 	Heneise, Ivah. BY THE LIGHT OF MY KEROSENE LAMP. Valley Forge,
Pa.: International Ministeries; 1982.

	33. 	Hodges, William H. THE PROTESTANT HERITAGE OF HISPANIOLA.
Insight.

	34. 	---. REFLECTIONS ON CHRISTMAS AND COLUMBUS.  1973 Dec.

	35. 	Holly, James Theodore. CHRISTIAN MISSIONS IN HAITI. The
Missionary Review of the World. 1903 Sep.

	36. 	Jagessar, Dr. Michael N. FULL LIFE FOR ALL. Zoetermeer:
Uitgeverij Boekencentrum; 1997.

	37. 	Johnson, Harmon. THE GROWING CHURCH IN HAITI. Coral Gables,
FL: West Indies Mission; 1970.

	38. 	Lewis, I. M. ECSTATIC RELIGION. London: Routledge; 1971; ISBN:
0-415-00799-2.

	39. 	Mailloux, Christine. THE SISTERS OF SAINT ANNE IN HAITI 1944-
1994. Lachine, Quebec: Les Editions Sainte-Anne; 1997.

	40. 	Matthews, Dom Basil. VODUN AND CATHOLICISM. The Catholic World.

	41. 	Maurer, Leon F. THE FIELDS ARE WHITE. .Indianapolis:
Ambassadors for Christ, Inc.; 1962.

	42. 	McConnell, H. Ormonde. HAITI DIARY  1933-1970. Cincinnati,
Ohio: Service Center; 1977.
Note: Mission Extraordinary -- A memoir.

	43. 	Miller, Vincent P. Jr. PROJECT EBENEZER MODELING HOLISTIC
MISSIONS. Coral Gables, FL: Ministeries in Action; 1981.

	44. 	Missionary Church Association of Haiti. LITTLE PINE TREE:
PROGRAMMED LESSONS AND WORKBOOK FOR CREOLE LEARNERS.

	45. 	Mitchell, Helen Marr. JOURNEY TO THE HEART. Alumnae Journal of
Trinity College. 1988; LXII(no 1):4-6.

	46. 	Morris, Joe Alex. THEY PAINT BIBLE STORIES YOU NEVER HEARD
BEFORE. The Saturday Evening Post. 1953 Jul 4; 226(No 1):26-27, and 42-45.

	47. 	Munn, Nettie Perkins. DEAR FOLKS:  LETTERS FROM NAHUM PREKINS,
MISSIONARY TO THE CARIBBEAN. Winona Lake, Ind.: Light and Life Press; 1982;
ISBN: 0-89367-077-4.

	48. 	Neighbour, Ralph W. A VOICE FORM HEAVEN. Grand Rapids, MI:
Zondervan Publishing House; 1958.
Note: novel of missionary in Haiti.

	49. 	Nelson, G. Dudley M. D. AS THE COCK CROWS:  REFLECTIONS OF A
MEDICAL MISSIONARY TO HAITI. Franklin, Tennessee: Providence House Publishers;
1997; ISBN: 1-57736-047-8.

	50. 	Norbeck, Mildred E. THE HAITIAN CHALLENGE AND YOU!
Intercession City, FL: Great Commission Crusaders.

	51. 	Orjala, Paul. PUBLISHING THE WORD. Kansas City, Mo: Nazarene
Publishing House; 1965.
Note: Chapter:  Hope for the Land of Haiti.

	52. 	Pudney, Edwin. HAITI WHITE ALREADY TO HARVEST. Toronto,
Canada: The Beacon Press; 1944.

	53. 	Seebohm, Benjamin editor. MEMOIRS OF THE LIFE AND GOSPEL
LABORS OF STEPHEN GRELLET. Philadelphia: Book Association of Friends; 1870.
Note: Haiti section:  pp. 176-182 June 25, 1816 until Oct. 26, 1816.

	54. 	Smith, Austine. HAITI IS WAITING. Tulsa, OK: Christian
Publishing Services, Inc.; 1985; ISBN: 0-88144-035-3.

	55. 	Sorenson, Jane. IN ANOTHER LAND. Cincinnati, OHIO: Standard
Publishing; 1985; ISBN: 0-87239-934-6.
Note: A Jennifer book, part of a series of missionary type books for little
girls.

	56. 	Spell, Kathleen editor. HAITI DIARY:  COMPILED FROM THE
LETTERS OF PAUL ORJALA. Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press; 1953.

	57. 	Toirac, Florent D. A PIONEER MISSIONARY IN THE TWENTIETH
CENTURY. Winona Lake, Ind.: Florent D. Toirac; 1986.
Note: Cites human sacrifice, devil worship and other things in Voodoo.  Long
Haiti section, over 200 pages.  One of the most vehemently anti-Voodoo tracts
I've seen.

	58. 	Tolbert-Rouchaleau, Jane. JAMES WELDON JOHNSON. Danbury, CT:
Crolier Incorporated; 1988; ISBN: 0-7171-8556-1.
Note: extraordinary 1922 photo in Port-au-Prince of the market in front of
Catholic Cathedral.  Full page.

	59. 	Touse, Anne. TRAVELLING IN HAYTI. London: The Wesleyan Mission
House; 1857.
Note: in: MISSIONARY INFORMATION FOR YOUNG PERSONS.  Section on Oct. 1857,
page 115 ff.

	60. 	Uhlinger, S. Rose compiler. LIGHT FOR HAITI:  AN AMERICAN
BAPTIST MISSION BOOK. Valley Forge: American Baptist International
Ministeries; 1977.
Note: Helen M. Powers, editor.
Contains:
Baptist Women
Hope For Women by Joanna Hodges
To Prevent is Worth More than to Heal by William Hodges
Historical Highlights of American Baptist Mission in Haiti
Plus more.

	61. 	Wilson, Ruth Danenhower. HERE IS HAITI. New York:
Philosophical Library; 1957.

	62. 	Workman, Eleanor. HOPE FOR HAITI. Tulsa, OK: Phos Publishing
Inc.; 1999; ISBN: 1-892728-05-2.

	63. 	Zurcher, Bernadine L. LITTLE PINE TREE:  PROGRAMMED LESSONS
AND WORKBOOK FOR CREOLE LEARNERS. Peoria, ILL: Illinois Valley Printing, Inc.;
1989.
Note: Missionary Church publication.