25130: lyall:- (comment) - Haitian students march for lower food and gas prices, less violence (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

I saw  this manifestation on television the other day. Everyone is
talking about gas prices, but they aren't THAT much higher than over
the  past year. 26.30 ht for regular gas, 16 ht for diesel. Diesel
hasn't gone up much at all.

Apparently tap tap fares went up quite a bit more. Dok Phillipe says
that his fare from Carrefour went from 5 to 10 gourdes to get
downtown. Perhaps the gov is bribing the chauffeur's syndicate?

The coverage I saw was of about 30 young men, not hundreds. They went
away down a street throwing rocks and blocking the road. This doesn't
resemble the 'grenn nan bounda' students that I recall. Also, some of
them were denouncing the idea of elections, make of that what you
will.
--
J. David Lyall
http://www.lyalls.net/