25169: Hermantin (News)New statue symbolizes struggles (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Sun, May. 22, 2005

New statue symbolizes struggles

BY BROOKE PRESCOTT
bprescott@herald.com

A longtime dream became a reality in the Haitian community Saturday.

The 13 ½-foot bronze statue of Toussaint L'Ouverture, founding father of
Haiti, was unveiled at North Miami Avenue and 62nd Street in Little Haiti.

Beatrice Cazeau, chairwoman of the Haitian Bicentennial Ad Hoc Committee
that organized the ceremony, said the statue symbolizes the struggles
Haitians have overcome throughout the years.

''I hope that it stimulates conversation and encourages people to go back
and read about [L'Ouverture] and the Haitian culture,'' she said.

June Barolette thought the statue never would be erected.

Now that it stands in the heart of her neighborhood, Barolette beamed.

''It means pride to us because as a child we would learn about
[L'Ouverture],'' she said.

Designed and sculpted by local sculptor James Mastin, the statue cost
$35,000 to create, but the entire event, along with Saturday's unveiling,
cost $100,000.

The event comes a year after the celebrations commemorating Haiti's
bicentennial as the first black republic.

''I think this is a great opportunity for the Haitian community to honor our
hero because he was a universal man,'' said Ancy Louis.