25229: Wilentz; (comment) Re: Andre Pierre (fwd)

From: Amywile@aol.com

This note was sent to me by a journalist acquaintance, following inquiries I
made. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but I think it's reasonably true. The
"not painting" thing is sad for all of us who know his radiant work.
--Amy Wilentz

This came back to me from a Haitian friend who does a lot in the art world.

FROM my friend: Andre Pierre, as you know, is very old and diabetic. Not too
long ago, after some foreigners had visited him (last easter sunday) and sent
some alarming news over the internet saying that he was near death and
abandoned by all, a friend and I called his house and he answered himself with
strong voice and said that people were exaggerating.      The truth is that he
is
not following his diet and he is almost blind. Contrary to what that foreign
journalist had said, a collection was done and there was enough money to pay
his latest hospital bills, all his medical bills and with the rest of
the money,
a bank account was openned for him and managed by his son.
Now he is home alive with his family and has stopped painting.