25277: Leiderman: (reply) Re: 25253: Giving the finger to Haitian voters (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

dear Readers:

I am not pleased by the posted press release of Cogent Systems
describing a multi-million dollar contract from the Organization of
American States to fingerprint Haitians as a requirement for voting.
fingerprinting for anything other than a criminal accusation is an
invasion of privacy.  it is not required for voting records management.
proof of residence is quite sufficient.  no one should voluntarily give
their fingerprints in exchange for a ballot.

I consider fingerprints part of a person's birthright that a third
party cannot claim as property or currency for a transaction such as
the right to vote.  I urge all Haitians to protest this improper use and
to demand the immediate cancellation of the contract.  any attorney
should know how to file an injunction against the Organization of
American States and against Haitian nationals who permitted such a
contract to be advertised and let.  what is the authority of OAS over
Haiti, anyway?

voter registration management is not rocket science; high technology and
the invasion of privacy is not required to conduct free and fair
elections.  yet, while basic needs are still neglected in Haiti, it seems
non-elected know-it-all's in some Western Hemispheric cloud bureaucracy
and their slick purveyors of police-state catalog items have joined
together to peel away yet another layer of Haitian personal integrity.
you've got to be kidding me.  throw the bums out!

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman