25285: Miller (reply) Re: 25277: Leiderman: (reply) Re: 25253: Giving the finger to Haitian voters (fwd)

From: Rob Miller <painewebberm@yahoo.com>

What's to keep someone from voting multiple times?
What is "proof of residency" when the vast majority of
Haitians don't have birth certificates (let alone,
even know their birthday for that matter)?  Truth be
told there is no possible way to conduct a proper
voter registration in Haiti without some biometric or
finger print check.  One can obtain fake papers just
as easily as exchange dollars for gourdes in PauP.
There is no central database for NIF cards, and no
regulation on how they are disbursed.  It is not
uncommon for someone to have two and three NIF cards,
each with different names and birthrates but same
photo.  I agree that using finger printing is an
invasion of privacy, but what other viable option is
there?  If anyone can answer that question, then we
would see real progress in Haiti.

Respectfully,

Rob Miller
painewebberm@yahoo.com