25304: Esser: (reply) Re: 25297: (reply) Chamberlain: Re: 25280: Esser: Re: 25277: Leiderman (fwd)

From: D. Esser <torx@joimail.com>

Re Aristide's 'reign'

I have little desire to respond to the "rent a revo" style nonsense,
but that a reign can't be democratic is a truly funny notion when one
consults a standard Thesaurus. The Word can be used to signify
for example:

 "his reign as manager, period in office, incumbency, managership,
leadership."

It seems to me that ten years living in country does nothing to
enhance one's command of standard written English. In reporting on
Haiti being in country doesn't necessary mean that the reports are
better or more accurate, just see the many botched reports in the
(former?) paper of record or what's emanating from the AP. Being the
mouthpiece for Latortue's press releases or to tout the U.S. State
Department line on the prevailing conditions could be done
comfortably from foreign shores, only tradition has it that one sits
on the veranda of reasonably well appointed local hotels to do the
"reporting".

source: (the nearest, sitting on my computer, but others are also in
agreement) Apple Macintosh Dictionary/Thesaurus OS 10.4.

I wrote:

during the democratic reign of Jean-Bertrand
Aristide.

to which Mr. Chamberlain replied:

You said it, Esser.  By definition, a reign can't
be democratic.  But Aristide did indeed comport
himself like a monarch.

Greg Chamberlain