25312: Cohen-Mitchell: (ask) written info on the Haitian pig scheme in the late 1980's (fwd)

From: Joanie Cohen-Mitchell <joaniecm@yahoo.com>

While living in Haiti in the 1980's I remember the failed USAID scheme  to replace
the indigenous pigs that were supposedly infected with swine flu  with US pigs that
were ill adapted to haitian landscape, food, etc.
Not surprisingly, most pigs did not adapt or thrive and many of the families in the
village of Zoranje where I lived, could not send kids to school because they lost
their future  tuition investment (the pig).

Upon telling that story to Columbian colleagues, they asked if they could get
anything written about this mal-development effort.

Anyone out there have any written documentation of this?

Mesi
Joanie Cohen-Mitchell